lucene-general mailing list archives

From udaysasi <udays...@gmail.com>
Subject Duplicate Filter on Search Results
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:18:12 GMT

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and I have a question where I am stuck and would
appreciate any pointers or inputs. I have created a Lucene index from a
Database table. I am trying to apply a Duplicate Filter on an attribute
while searching for another attribute.

Lets say for example(and simplicity), I have columns like username, itemname
and that the index looks like the following :

username    itemname   item description   docid
---------    ---------   ---------------   -----
john            laptop          Lenovo              0
eric               pda          Blackberry           1
john            iphone            Apple              2
john              pda           Blackberry          3
monica        iphone            Apple              4
john            laptop             Dell                5

Now, My question is - how do I get all the unique items that a particular
person (Say, John) contains? I tried to query the index with username:john
and tried to apply a DuplicateFilter on itemname column while searching.
What I get in the results is just the laptop and iphone. Looks like the
duplicate filter is applied on the entire index which eliminates anything
but the FIRST_OCCURENCE of the item pda. Hence the filter yeilds only doc
ids : 0, 1, 2 and among them, the search yeilds only docs 0 and 2 when I
search for username:john

Is there a way to apply duplicatefilter on the search results? Like - Get
all records for John and Get all Unique itemnames under his name. I am not
sure if I was clear enough explaining my problem. Please throw some light on
this if you have encountered such issue and was able to find a way to do
this. I did some googling and found ways to join queries using BooleanFilter
to add a subquery to an existing query. What I am trying to do is to add a
filter to a query result.

Thanks
-Uday