lucene-general mailing list archives

From Mike_SearchGuru <taherjamal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Which one is better - Lucene OR Google Search Appliance
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:28:02 GMT

Many thanks to your responses. yes you are right we shoudl not be considering
license costs and i agree to you.

Let me further answer your questions:
1) each pdf file is about on avaerage 100 page long and 4MB in size.
However, we are not indexing the whole lot. We will only be indexing very
few parts ie the headlines on the PDF files. So i woudl say some 5% of the
document will ever be indexed.
2) all files are in english
3) we dont need any control on how the pdf's are indexed.
4) every week we have an increase of 5000 pdfs that needs to be indexed
5) we need a facility whereby we can create multiple indexes so that we cna
keep teh size of these indexes as small as possible BUT when a query is
fired we want to be able to pull information form all these multiple
6) no need for any access controls
7) on time factor - if it takes 1 sec to index a pdf file (assmuing that the
content to index is 30KB), then we will be screwed up as we cant wait 93
days for everything to be indexed. So what we might do is split or docs into
multiple parts and index them separately on separate servers ( may be 10
servers) and so that should cut the 93 days to 9 days. The question here is
can we then group all those indexes on one server later on when going live.
8) currently our pdf file size for all 8 million adds up to 40 terabyte
already.