lucene-general mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Search Mediawiki and Intranet?
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2008 22:17:10 GMT

: Currently I'm researching our documentation needs. Our documentations are
: split over several servers, including Sharepoint, our Fileserver, and a Wiki
: (based on Mediawiki).
:
: I just saw that Mediawiki has the capability to add Lucene as an extension,
: so if you search, your results will be displayed coming from an index build
: by Lucene.
:
: What I'm planning on advising is to start to use a search engine for our
: Intranet. Hence Lucene. However, I'm wondering whether we need to use two
: instances of Lucene. One for our Intranet, and one for our Wiki.

It depends on how Mediawiki is using Lucene, and how you want to use
Lucene for your non Medaiawiki data sources -- you may find that the
document structure they use/expect doesn't play nicely with the
Documents/Fields you want to add for your other types of data.  You may
find that it's easier to just let something like Nutch crawl all of your
data sources -- or write custom code to extract data from each of your
various data sources the way *you* want to and then index using a custom
Lucene-Java app, or using Solr.

-Hoss