lucene-general mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tika to a Lucene subproject (Subproject Acceptance Vote)
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:48:37 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As summarized below, the incubating Tika project has voted to indicate
> their willingness to graduate into a Lucene subproject. We feel that
> Tika is probably not "large" enough to become an independent TLP, and
> given our close ties to Lucene we'd be eager to be accepted as a
> Lucene subproject (see discussion at [1]). And since all our incubator
> exit criteria seem to be satisfied (see status at [2]), I'd like to
> call the Lucene PMC to vote on accepting Tika as a subproject (see [3]
> for the process I'm following).
>
> So, conditional on graduation approval by the Incubator PMC, please
> vote on accepting Tika as a Lucene subproject. The vote is open for
> the next 72 hours and only votes from the Lucene PMC are binding.
>
> [ ] +1 Accept Tika as a Lucene subproject (if the Incubator approves
> the graduation)
> [ ] -1 Tika should not become a Lucene subproject

+1.

I have some reservations, but nothing important enough to change the
vote. Nutch uses Tika mainly as a mime-type detection library, so I'm
not that familiar with its format conversion functionality (the
parsers). However, if Tika becomes a Lucene sub-project, AND if the
documentation gets better (as opposed to nearly non-existent :) ) then I
think this project could play an important role in Nutch - we could then
merge the content parsers in Nutch and Tika into a common code base in
Tika, thus increasing reuse and decreasing maintenance costs.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><