lucene-general mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Preliminary, fundamental question about the demo
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:11:43 GMT

Hello,

Two things you should know:

1) this is the general@lucene list -- it's hte starting point for people
with questions baout the entire Lucene project wheren they really have no
idea where to get started.  You seem to be asking about the Lucene-Java
demo code, so i'm assuming you are interested in writing java code that
uses the Lucene search library to build your own applications.  In that
case, your best bet for future assistence is the java-user@lucene mailing
list.  (if i'm wrong, and you are more interested in using applications
already built with the Lucene library such as Solr or Nutch; or iwth using
the .Net port of hte library, these subprojects all have their own
subproject mailing list as well)...

	http://lucene.apache.org/mail.html

2) regarding this comment...

: ok, my mistake. apparently the dot '.' is not considered a separator, so
: documents containing "java.util.Vector" will *not* be matched by a search
: for "vector". quite surprising if you ask me, but well, this can most
: probably be changed...

That is a specific behavior of the "Analyzer" used when analyzing the
text, it most certianly can be changed and there is a wide variety of
Analyzers available that come with Lucene (particularly in the analysis
contrib package)

The other oddity to arrise from what you are seeing is that recent
versions of Lucene have reduced the usage of the Vector class quite a bit,
but the tutorial still uses it as an example, i'll commit a quick fix for
that.

-Hoss