lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Local Lucene and Local Solr
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 16:43:44 GMT
So, the consensus seems to be to split into contrib modules for Lucene
Java and Lucene Solr.  I just need to finish up the paperwork over in
incubation and then I think we can seek out volunteers on the two
lists to do the splitting in conjunction with the people donating the
code.

-Grant

On Aug 25, 2008, at 2:24 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : As to where, from the Solr point of view, a geosearch feature seems
> : core, thus it should go in Solr core.
>
> if i remember correctly,the LocalSolr has been designed/built as a
> "plugin" so it doesn't actually need to live in the "core" Solr code
> base
> ... it can be a Solr contrib ... but i agree it would probably makethe
> most sense for "Local Lucene" to be a Lucene-Java contrib and "Local
> Solr"
> to be a Solr contrib ... haveing a seperate "Geo" subproject might
> make
> sense from a code management standpoint, but not really from a
> dependency/release management or user base standpoint ... either
> people want to use
> LocalLucene directly (in which case they don't care about the Solr
> pieces)
> or they care about using Local Solr (and don't know they care about
> the
> Lucene piece)
>

> -Hoss

Grant Ingersoll