lucene-general mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Index file vs. database
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:58:44 GMT
Zoki,

A better list to ask this on is java-user@lucene.

In short, you can really go either way.  Some people feel more comfortable storing everything
in DB as they trust it more (RDBMS's have been around longer than Lucene has), know how to
back it up, need data integrity (FKs), etc.  Storing relational data in Lucene requires flattening
of relations and entities.

Storing everything in Lucene means larger indices, which doesn't necessarily affect search
speed, but it does mean things like slower optimization, more IO on the machine running search,
etc.

I could go on listing various little advantages/disadvantages, but there is no ultimate "do
this, don't do that" answer.

Pozdrav,

Otis