lucene-general mailing list archives

From agatone <zoran.z...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene Index file vs. database
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:46:59 GMT

Hi,

First I want to apologize if I'm asking something  that was asked already. I
tried search, but couldn't find what I was looking for (or I simply don't
know how to define the search string for my question).

I'm working on a project that has huge database in the background. We
decided to use Lucene for "faster" search. Our search works similar as all
searches: you write search string, get list of hits with detail link. But
there is dilemma if we should store more data into index that's needed.

One side of developing team insists that we should use lucene index as
somekind of storage for data so when you get hit, you go onto details and
then again use lucene to find document that matches the selected ID. So in
the end you end with copying complete database tables into the lucene index

Other side insists on storing to index only data that is displayed on the
search results list and needed for search criteria. When you go onto
details, you have the matching ID so you can pickup that row from database
by that ID (I also like this better).

Can someone please describe drawbacks and advantages of both approaches.
Actually can someone write down what's the actual profit, where and when of
the Lucene itself.

Thank you