lucene-general mailing list archives

From chaiguy1337 <lo...@electricstorm.com>
Subject Updating an index??
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 02:07:41 GMT

Hi all. I'm new to Lucene, reading Lucene in Action, and using Lucene.NET,
but my question is not platform specific.

I'm baffled about the "create" parameter of the IndexWriter/IndexModifier
constructor. It seems the only two options are overwrite and fail. I would
like to append a not-yet-existing database each time I open the IndexWriter.
In other words, the first time the user runs my program, the index is
clearly not going to exist, but every successive time the method is called,
I want it to append the index, not overwrite it!

It seems to me the only possible way this design could work is if it were
also coupled with some way to determine if the index already exists.

Am I totally missing something? Is the append option even supported? Perhaps
I'm expected to create a new index each time, for every single document (my
documents are indexed one at a time because they are indexed as soon as they
are created) and then merge them into the main index? That seems silly when
a single operation could take care of everything.

Some light shed on this would be appreciated.