lucene-general mailing list archives

From riotpolice <aubreyholl...@gmail.com>
Subject Escaped boolean queries with wildcards
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 16:38:20 GMT

In order to support autocomplete in a location search, I'm taking the query
string and adding a wildcard to the end. This works fine in general, but I'm
having trouble with searches like "Portland, OR". In this case, the OR is
treated as a boolean operator, and the search fails. Downcasing the query
fixed this problem, but it still fails to return any results if I add my
wildcard to the end of the search. The resulting search is:

'portland, or*'

'portland, or' and 'new york, ny*' work correctly, so I assume the problem
is still with the presence of the OR. Any ideas what I can do to make this
search return the expected result?

AH