lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Steven A Rowe" <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: Multi Lingual indexing
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:39:17 GMT
Hi Ayush,

You will get a quicker/better response if you use the java-user@lucene.apache.org list instead
of the general@l.a.o list - few people are subscribed here.

On 08/22/2008 at 3:03 AM, NepaliManchhe wrote:
> I am new to Lucene and got stuck while trying to accomplish a
> multi lingual indexing. Suppose i have two indexes, one
> English and one French and i try to index something like a
> French-to-English dictionary, how do i add the french words
> to the french index and the english words to the english index
> so that the indexes dont get garbled as in case when i add all
> the words to one of the indexes?

I'm confused - why is it a problem to "add the french words to the french index and the english
words to the english index"?  Haven't you already done this?

When you add all the words (I assume you mean words from both languages) to one of the indexes,
what is the nature of the "garbled" words?

I think if you give more specifics about what you're doing and what you want to do, it would
help.

For example: once you're built these indexes, what will you do with them?  Are you trying
to put words from both languages into a single field?

Steve