lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene Performance and usage alternatives
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 18:58:27 GMT

On Aug 5, 2008, at 2:29 PM, ezer wrote:

> Thanks Stefan and Grant.
> Yes solr seems very intresting i tried once, i am seeing now the
> part of the
> php client you mentioned.
> What hapens if rhater than starting a server that opens a port to
> listen to
> requests, i call from php every time i need to search using for
> example
> exec(theSearchingProgram...., $arrayResult).

That won't perform.  The main cost of searching is loading up the
index and you would have to do that every time.

> By now is the solution i am
> testing, but i am not sure if it is an elegant way of use this. I
> would like
> to know the pros and cons from each solution, in the first instance
> i think
> that opening a port has a  security issue behind.

What kind of environment are you in that you can't secure the port?
I'm not a security expert, but starting points would be to allow only
from a given IP, use SSL, put behind a firewall, etc.   Treat Solr
just as you treat a database in the typical tiered architecture.

-Grant