lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene Performance and usage alternatives
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 15:07:45 GMT
Before we go solving a problem that isn't necessarily there, can you
share a bit about what sizes you are at currently?  Num docs, index
size, query rate?

Have you looked at http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/BasicsOfPerformance
   ?

-Grant

On Aug 5, 2008, at 10:21 AM, ezer wrote:

> I just made a program using the java api of Lucene. Its is working
> fine for
> my actually index size. But i am worried about performance with an
> biger
> index and simultaneous users access.
>
> 1) I am worried with the fact of having to make the program in java. I
> searched for alternative like the C Port, but i saw that the version
> used
> its a little old an no much people seem to use that.
>
> 2) I also thinking in compiling the code with cgj to generate native
> code
> and not use the jvm. Anybody tried it ? Can be an advantage that could
> aproximate to the performance of a C program ?
>
> 3) I wont use an application server, i will call the program
> directly from a
> php page, is there any architecture model suggested for doing that?
> I mean
> for preview many users accessing to the program. The fact of
> initiating one
> isntance each time someone do a query and opening the index should not
> degrade the performance?

You shouldn't be instantiating a Reader/Searcher for each query.  See
the link above.