lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Local Lucene and Local Solr
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:41:10 GMT
The creators of Local Lucene and Local Solr (http://www.nsshutdown.com/projects/lucene/whitepaper/locallucene.htm

) have generously agreed to donate the code to Lucene.

The Lucene PMC is working through the details of the software grant.
The one remaining road block, potentially, is that there is still some
LGPL code involved that needs to be replaced.   We could commit this
before removing it, as long as we don't release it.  So, if there are
volunteers willing to do the work, I'd be more inclined to move
forward w/ finishing out the grant and committing it.

In the meantime, I would like to open the discussion of where this
should live in Lucene.

The options are:

1. Split them up and make them each a part of Lucene and Solr and let
the committers of those projects decide where things go
2. Create a separate Geo search subproject under Lucene TLP with it's
own set of committers, etc. just like any of the other sub projects
(Solr, Tika, Java, etc.)  This requires the PMC to vote to create a
new subproject.
3. Other?

So, what do people think?  Where would you like to see Local Search
live w.r.t. Lucene and Solr?

-Grant