lucene-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Groschupf ...@101tec.com>
Subject Re: Lucene-based Distributed Index Leveraging Hadoop
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:41:11 GMT

Hi All, Hi Mark,

> It was interesting to hear Mark Butler present his implementation of
> Distributed Lucene at the Hadoop User Group meeting in London on
> Tuesday. There's obviously been quite a bit of discussion on the
> subject, and lots of interested parties. Mark, not sure if you're on
> this list but thanks for sharing.

Is there any material published about this? I would be very interested
to see Marks slides and hear about the discussion.

> Is this the forum to ask about open projects? I'm interested in
> joining a project as long as it's goals aren't too distant to what I'm
> looking for. Based mostly on gut feeling I'd rather go for a
> stand-alone project that wasn't dependent on HDFS/Hadoop, but willing
> to be convinced otherwise.

Rich, as you know there are a couple project in this area solar,
compass, dlucene and katta and since all are open source I guess the
easiest way to be involved is to join the mailing lists.

I only can speak for katta - we are very interested in getting more
people involved to get other perspective. There is quite some activity
in our project since our project is part of a upcoming production
system, but low traffic in mailing list (So far all developers work in
the same room).

You can find our mailing list on our source forge page:
http://katta.wiki.sourceforge.net/

Please keep in mind that katta is very young and compass or solr might
be more interesting if you need something working now, though they
might have different goals and focus than dlucene or katta.

Stefan Groschupf