lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Retrieving term positions without storing the term vectors
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:42:48 GMT

Indeed Lucene stores position information and uses that when doing
phrase queries.  It is stored separately from term vectors.

However, the positions are "inverted" meaning for a given term you can
find all documents that had that term, as well as the positions where
that term had occurred in the documents.  So, because of this
inversion, it's not easily reconstructed into all terms & their
positions that occurred in a document.  It is feasible to do so, but
the amount of computation/IO really makes it unrealistic in most
situations.  This is why term vectors (they are not inverted) are used
when you want to retrieve all terms/positions/offsets for a single
document.

Mike

PS -- it's better to use java-user mailing list for this sort of
question.