lucene-general mailing list archives

From syga <sylvain.gau...@gmail.com>
Subject Retrieving term positions without storing the term vectors
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:46:38 GMT

Dear all,

   Am I correct to believe that a quoted (phrase) search, like "red dog",
returns documents containing the consecutive words "red" and "dog" in that
order, even without storing the term vector (Field.TermVector.NO)?

   If the inverted index (with Field.TermVector.NO and Field.Store.NO) is
able to check whether the words are consecutive and in the right order, then
I suppose that the inverted index must somehow contain the positional
information of the words in the documents.

   If my supposition is correct, then is it possible to access this
positional information via the Lucene API? Of course, I am not speaking
about indexReader.getTermFreqVector(doc, field), which returns null if we
use Field.TermVector.NO.

   If my supposition is incorrect, could you please explain how the inverted
index is able to deal with quoted searches without having this positional
information?

   Thank you so much,
SG.