lucene-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Naber <lucenelist2...@danielnaber.de>
Subject Re: boosting keywords
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2008 18:45:40 GMT
On Freitag, 27. Juni 2008, gaz77 wrote:

> My question is: Is can I apply different boost factors for each keyword?

Standard disclaimer: it's better to post on java-user, there's more traffic
over there.

Yes, you can boost in the query (syntax example: foo^2) if you always boost
the same terms with the same values. To boost during indexing, you can add
a per-token payload in the anaylzer. How to use this for scoring is
shortly described here: http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/Payloads

To avoid the payloads, you could also use a simple and inelegant trick:
just repeat the word you want to boost. E.g. "foo foo bar" => "foo"
boosted twice over "bar"

Regards
 Daniel

--