lucene-general mailing list archives

From mik07 <someone2...@yahoo.de>
Subject Online Question Answering demo using Lucene
Date Wed, 14 May 2008 14:30:52 GMT

[Apologies if you consider this as spam]

Hello Lucene users and developers,

I wanted to point people on this list to a Question Answering System,
developed at the University of Edinburgh, which uses Lucene to index
Wikipedia. I though some of you might be interested in this particular use
of Lucene. Since a few month we have an online demo. It can be found here:

http://demos.inf.ed.ac.uk:8080/qualim/search?text=true&query=How+many+Munros+are+there+in+Scotland%3F

A *DRAFT* of a short paper describing a few of the features can be found
here:
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0570760/publications/Kaisser_ACL_2008_Demo.pdf

I would be glad if you could take a look and I also appreciate any comments!

Best Regards,
Michael

PS: We use quite a few other tools beside Lucene in this demo. Initially we
find answers be querying major search engines (Yahoo and Google) and use
parsers (LinkParser and MiniPar) to post process their result. We employ a
Named Entity Recognition System (GATE's ANNIE) to look for promising answer
strings. Finally, Lucene is used for Wikipedia paragraph retrieval.