lucene-general mailing list archives

From stevef-pcbi <ste...@pcbi.upenn.edu>
Subject words close together - like google
Date Mon, 12 May 2008 16:39:25 GMT

hi, i am a newbie to text search, but need to evaluate lucene.

my question is this:  in a google query such as "prune scotch broom" it has
always seemed to me that the closer together the three words are found the
better the rank of the document.

(1) is that true?

(2) in the FAQ (http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ) it says this:
Does the position of the matches in the text affect the scoring?

No, the position of matches within a field does not affect ranking.

does that mean that lucene does not support what i imagine google is doing?

(3) the lucene querying language described here
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_2/queryparsersyntax.html seems very fancy.
but, i don't understand why, in the most common use cases, i need it.  in
google, i just type some words, and it figures the rest out.  for example:
   - the more words i hit the better.  i don't need to specify AND or OR
   - the closer they are together the better.  i don't need to specify
distance requirements

thanks very much for explaining this, and please pardon and ignorance on my
part

steve