lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Maitra, Saikat \(US - Hyderabad\)" <samai...@deloitte.com>
Subject Lucene: Searching through multiple records.
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:11:38 GMT
Hi there!

I am not actually a programmer (more like statistician). I have a text
mining problem where I need to search for certain key-words in a
particular memo-field for a very large number of records. Data can be in
database or a text file.

I am considering the case of a text file for now. I can ofcourse read
each record in the text file at a time, create an index for the
particular memo-field and search the key-word(s).

However is there a way by which I can Index the entire text file, yet do
searching for each record separately...i.e return hits of a query for a
record at a time ?? Currently the entire file gets indexed  and I don't
know how can I differentiate between the records. Something like
sub-index for each record is available ??
Please point me towards a solution (if possible with examples) ....

Otherwise lucene indexing won't be a great boost as I can simple string
search on the field as I read a record (unless the memo-field is itself
very big, which it is unlikely).

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,
Saikat