lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Steven A Rowe" <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: Searching chomps my terms..
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:21:10 GMT
Hi André,

On 03/11/2008 at 11:40 AM, André Warnier wrote:
> Steven A Rowe wrote:
> > On 03/11/2008 at 8:46 AM, André Warnier wrote:
> > > (But I must say that precise documentation seems hard to find).
> >
> > The API docs are at: <http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_1/api/>.
[...]
> For the casual user, the practical problem is that in the doc, in the
> paragraph "An Analyzer that filters LetterTokenizer with
> LowerCaseFilter." the words "LetterTokenizer" and "LowerCaseFilter" are
> not themselves links to the corresponding classes (docs). So the casual
> user has no idea where in the hierarchy to go and look for those.

One of the really cool things about the everybody's-a-volunteer model used by ASF projects
is that when you see a problem, you can fix it.  (Yes, the implied responsibility can be annoying,
but when the social good you serve by contributing helps yourself too - or at least a former
version of yourself :) - it's not so bad.)

Try downloading the source, finding the javadocs that need fixing, and submitting a patch
on the issue tracking system to provide the links that, I agree, should be there to help newbies
get a leg up.  Here's some info to get you started:

<http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowToContribute>

> Now here is a brilliant idea : why not create a public Lucene site,
> where the docs would be indexed with... Lucene ?
> Or is there already such a thing ?

I'm not aware of such a thing, but I'm sure it would come in handy.  Perhaps you would consider
taking on this task?

Idea > 0 => |Code(Idea)| = |Idea|*X, X >> 1

Steve