lucene-general mailing list archives

From "João Rodrigues" <anar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene - Search Optimization Problem
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:34:21 GMT
This is to all who gave me tips on my search optimization problems: Thank
you :)

I managed to, with just a simple optimization, not storing a field I didn't
need, and a change in the cycle (not using topdocs), reduce to a tenth (!!!)
the time of search. Here are some very preliminary results, made on two

A) Old configuration (except this one was optimized), 10.000 documents
indexed:

Initializing VM machine
Setting variables

Searching for: gene OR dna OR protein OR patient OR disease OR metabolism OR
pathway OR chromossome OR human OR mouse OR biochemical OR lipid OR glucose
OR diabetes OR science OR health
4397
0:00:09.094805

----- Right afterwards (with supposedly the results in cache) ------------

Initializing VM machine
Setting variables

Searching for: gene OR dna OR protein OR patient OR disease OR metabolism OR
pathway OR chromossome OR human OR mouse OR biochemical OR lipid OR glucose
OR diabetes OR science OR health
4397
0:00:00.563862

B) New Configuration, with the same documents indexed:

Initializing VM machine
Setting variables

Searching for: gene OR dna OR protein OR patient OR disease OR metabolism OR
pathway OR chromossome OR human OR mouse OR biochemical OR lipid OR glucose
OR diabetes OR science OR health
4397
0:00:00.352372

---- Right after the first one (with supposedly cache results) -----

Initializing VM machine
Setting variables

Searching for: gene OR dna OR protein OR patient OR disease OR metabolism OR
pathway OR chromossome OR human OR mouse OR biochemical OR lipid OR glucose
OR diabetes OR science OR health
4397
0:00:00.351742

Now I have a question. Shouldn't the second search, with the cached results,
be significantly faster? If not, why is it on the config A and not on B?

Again, thanks quite a lot for all the comments. I'll still try the other
things you've said but at least for now, this'll shut my colleagues that
advised me to drop Lucene ;)

Cheers everyone!