lucene-general mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Multiple Indexes - Merge?
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:53:10 GMT

: in 75GB) over the web and as my internet connection isn't that good enough,
: I am asking you guys, probably more experienced than I am, if there is a way
: of, if the index is cut short (my script, if connection fails, will optimize
: and close the index, just as if it was done), to start from where it ended.
: Another option was to merge several "little" indexes.

Well.. the short answer is "yes" you can merge indexes ... the
IndexReader.addIndexes method will do this for you.  In general though,
your problem statement doesn't seem to really relate to Lucene, or require
merging of indexes ...if your app encounters a problem unrelated to
luncene (ie: a network problem) and closes the index cleanly, then when
the problem goes away your app can open an IndexWriter on the index and
start right back up where it left off.

-Hoss