lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene or Sphinx? I want to search within +200,000 record tables
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2008 14:24:14 GMT
Lucene doesn't know about DBs, it just knows Documents.  It would be
your responsibility to convert your records to Documents.  It's pretty
straightforward to do.  You might want to check Solr which will take
care of a lot of the infrastructure people build around Lucene; it
even has a patch for talking to DBs
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-103 and slurping records.

I can't speak to Sphinx, as I haven't used it.

-Grant

On Jan 4, 2008, at 8:32 AM, thomas Armstrong wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I created a website with two +200,000 record tables cointaining
> information about:
>
> Table 'items'
> - id
> - title
> - text
> - tags
> - date
> - rate
> - user_id
>
> Table 'comments'
> - id
> - item_id
> - title
> - text
> - date
> - user_id
>
> And I would like to search within them. I created some MySQL queries
> but they are v-e-r-y
> s-l-o-w. So I'm trying to find another solution and I'm considering
> Lucene or Sphinx.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, Lucene would crawl and index webpages and
> Sphinx would build an
> index over the table, right? Which could be the best solution in
> your opinion?
>
> Thank you very much.

Grant Ingersoll
http://lucene.grantingersoll.com