lucene-general mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: supporting the arabic language
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2007 01:41:00 GMT

Daniel's advice is specific to wanting to build your own applicaiton using
the underlying Lucene-Java API.

You may also be interested in taking a look at the Solr and Nutch
subprojects, Nutch is a more traditional search engine type system that
crawls and indexes documents, while Solr supports a robust mechanism for
defining your own custom schema and pushing bulk data into it.  Both can
easily support a variety of languages ... the "hard work" in having good
behavior with a particular language is delegated to what is in Lucene
called an "Analyzer".

Once you have a better understanding of the various Lucene projects,
building an Arabic analyzer might be the best place to focus your efforts
as you could then plug it in to either Nutch or Solr (or use it in a
custom application built with Lucene-Java

: > we are a group of undergraduate Computer Sciences and Information
: > Systems students and we wanted to develop a search engine that supports
: > the Arabic Language, but our supervisor suggested the "Lucene" instead
: > of building the whole search engine from scratch and we actually liked
: > the idea so here we are, the problem is I don't know how to start

: See
: http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-fced767dd893d8828529074a26f99e0df7fe12ca

-Hoss