lucene-general mailing list archives

From 1world1love <jd_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: advice on integrating NLP engine during indexing
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:26:42 GMT

Hi James. Ira's link is a good starting point. There is another algorithm
called NegEx used in parsing medical texts that was published out of the
University of Pittsburgh. You can find a high level description here:
http://healthinformatics.wikispaces.com/NegEx+Algorithm

Although much of the research in the field is being done in medical
informatics, the general principals are really universal as long as you have
a good understanding of the domain vocabulary. You could probably search
pubmed for current literature on the subject.

As to the question of accuracy, I have found that most of the published
results are based on a "best case scenario" and that any method will need to
be tweaked for a particular problem to get the best results. You will
probably never find a method that is perfectly accurate, even human based.
My philosophy when evaluating these algorithms is "Don't let the perfect be
the enemy of the good".