lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Mullin" <amalafr...@gmail.com>
Subject run Lucene demo : fundamental question
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:49:34 GMT
1)I have downloaded and unpacked the Lucene tar.gz file

2)the successfully unpacked and installed files reside in a directory:
/usr/local/bin/Lucene/

3)echo $CLASSPATH returns: .:/usr/local/bin/Lucene/
 . . . which is the directory in which reside the two .jar files, core
& demos, as well as the src directory;

4)from within my Lucene directory, I issue the following command (as
indicated in instructions at
lucene.apache.org/java/docs/demo.html):
java org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexFiles /usr/local/bin/Lucene/src

5)I receive the following error message:
org/apache/lucene/demo/IndexFiles

6)if I change my permission level to su and then issue the same
command, I receive the following error message:
org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexFiles
   at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.70)
org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexFiles not found in
gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:./,file:/usr/local/bin/Lucene/],
parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.70)
   at gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.70)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.70)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.70)
   at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.70)

Any suggestions?  Clearly I am a novice in matters Javan . . . but
learning rapidly . . . I feel certain that this
can be resolved with a small "path" change of some sort  . . . but
Zeus be damned if I know what it is.

Java program in general appears to be properly installed.  Recently
downloaded from the Sun site.
I am able to compile and run other *.java files from my tutorial
directory. . . .

Thanks in advance for any help that might be forthcoming.  I've
stepped through the directions several times . . . to no avail.
I have looked at the FAQ and browsed the list archives, but find
nothing so fundamental.

Cordially,

R. Mullin