lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: run Lucene demo : fundamental question
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:00:36 GMT
Hi Robert,

For Lucene Java issues, try java-user@lucene.a.o, you will get much
better help in the future.

The issue appears to be that you need to include the actual JAR files
in the classpath, the directory containing them is not sufficient.
See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-user/50132?
search_string=ERROR%20opening%20the%20Index;#50132 for a similar
discussion (which also can be applied to Lucene 2.2.0)

Cheers,
Grant

On Jun 22, 2007, at 11:49 AM, Robert Mullin wrote:

> 1)I have downloaded and unpacked the Lucene tar.gz file
>
> 2)the successfully unpacked and installed files reside in a directory:
> /usr/local/bin/Lucene/
>
> 3)echo $CLASSPATH returns: .:/usr/local/bin/Lucene/
> . . . which is the directory in which reside the two .jar files, core
> & demos, as well as the src directory;
>
> 4)from within my Lucene directory, I issue the following command (as
> indicated in instructions at
> lucene.apache.org/java/docs/demo.html):
> java org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexFiles /usr/local/bin/Lucene/src
>
> 5)I receive the following error message:
> org/apache/lucene/demo/IndexFiles
>
> 6)if I change my permission level to su and then issue the same
> command, I receive the following error message:
> org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexFiles
>   at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.70)
> org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexFiles not found in
> gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:./,file:/usr/local/bin/
> Lucene/],
> parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
>   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.70)
>   at gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.70)
>   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.70)
>   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.70)
>   at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.70)
>
> Any suggestions?  Clearly I am a novice in matters Javan . . . but
> learning rapidly . . . I feel certain that this
> can be resolved with a small "path" change of some sort  . . . but
> Zeus be damned if I know what it is.
>
> Java program in general appears to be properly installed.  Recently
> downloaded from the Sun site.
> I am able to compile and run other *.java files from my tutorial
> directory. . . .
>
> Thanks in advance for any help that might be forthcoming.  I've
> stepped through the directions several times . . . to no avail.
> I have looked at the FAQ and browsed the list archives, but find
> nothing so fundamental.
>
> Cordially,
>
> R. Mullin

Grant Ingersoll