lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Carrette, George" <George.Carre...@Monster.com>
Subject RE: Using Lucene in different application
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 16:53:49 GMT
I had such good luck with using the Microsoft J# compiler with Java
Lucene that I would choose that as the way to go for adding full text
search capabilities to a .NET application.

Because there are serious users of the GNU GCJ compiler with the Java
Lucene source code it is already clear that Lucene is written in nice
"portable Java" (as compared to Java using all the bells and marginal
features of the very most recent cutting edge versions of Java from one
of the bleeding-edge vendors).

Obviously to the extent that, even after being in front of the public
for more than 10 years, Java is still treated by many as a language in
flux, you might be wary of other vendor's Java language-compatible
compilers, particularly if that vendor is Microsoft. Or because
Microsoft has announced that support for J# will end in 8 years (2015).
But who knows, by that time, given that Sun Java is now open source,
maybe there will be Sun Java support for the .NET runtime. Or perhaps in
8 years the dominant Java compiler will be GNU GCJ, because one of the
projects to do a .NET back end for GCC will have been completed. Or
maybe Microsoft will CodePlex.com open source their J# compiler. Who
knows, 8 years is a long time. I think that in the commercial world you
need to minimize your up front costs, maximize your ROI by using the
most advanced software you can find, and worry about the long term
platform implications later. Maybe there will be a Python language
Lucene by then. Who knows, the MIT Electrical Engineering Department has
stuck with the Schema language for the last 26 years in its core
courses, pretty much ignoring several waves of languages, including
Java. But now it is testing the waters with Python.

http://alum.mit.edu/www/gjc/lucene-java-vjc.html
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vjsharp
http://gcc.gnu.org/java/
http://pylucene.osafoundation.org/