lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Searching by bit masks
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 20:23:20 GMT
On 11/9/06, ltaylor.employon <ltaylor@employon.com> wrote:
> I am currently evaluating Lucene to see if it would be appropriate to
> replace my company's current search software.  So far everything has been
> looking great, however there is one requirement that I am not too certain
> about.
>
> What we need to do is to be able to store a bit mask specifying various
> filter flags for a document in the index and then search this field by
> specifying another bit mask with desired filters, returning documents that
> have any of the specified flags set.  In other words, we are doing a bitwise
> OR on the stored filter bit mask and the specified filter bit mask and if it
> is non-zero, we want to return the document.

Lucene maintains an inverted index, so you don't need a bit mask...
you can actually use symbolic values.

doc {
  id=1
  tags = tag1 tag3 tag7
}

doc {
  id = 2
  tags = tag1 tag2 tag5 tag9
}

Then you can search via a BooleanQuery:

tags:(tag1 OR tag2 OR tag7)

If you are new to Lucene, you might check out Solr first.  If nothing
else, it would be a gentle introduction to Lucene, and you could build
a custom Lucene implementation later if it doesn't meet your needs.

-Yonik