lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject non-committers & branches in SVN
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 16:30:11 GMT

Hi,

Is it possible to allow non-committers (= me!) to commit only to
branches in Subversion?  Is such a thing even feasible, or ever done
in other projects?

I'm just asking because for something like the lockless commits patch
it would be very helpful as I iterate with people (thanks Yonik!) who
have reviewed it to be able to just commit my changes to a dedicated
"private" branch and this way they can then just "svn up" or
use "svn diff" to see only the diffs between my first patch &
the fixes, etc.

It would also have been helpful in the original development to have
source control fallback as I was building out the first patch.  It
always makes me nervous accumulating long-living mods outside of
source control in the first place.  Better to commit often.

It's obviously feasible to just keep re-submitting entire patches with
each iteration but it sure would be nice to be able to use svn instead!

Mike