lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Fredrik Andersson" <fidde.anders...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should I use one or many index's?
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 12:07:34 GMT
Ok, I figured you had some setup like that.

Personally, I would prefer one large index. The overhead associated with
opening/closing/managing thousands of searchers/modifiers is much bigger
than to incorporate the personal restriction in the query. Also, you risk
running out of filepointers, depending on your OS.
If your documents are indexed like (userId, title, text, date), it's no
hassle to search the subset of a certain userId even if the index is several
million records big, by using a MultiFieldQuery which enforces the userId
field.
I have personally deployed this tactic in several projects where we've
handled user restrictions / subset searches, and it's very convinient.
Regarding the IndexModifier - you can only have one modifier open at once
since they take write-looks. So, you would probably want to have a "crawler"
which updates the index continously while you have an arbitrary amount of
IndexSearchers (read-only) attached to the very same index.

Anyway, my $0.02!