lucene-general mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: What are the pros and cons of using the C# version of Lucene as compared to the Java version in a .NET environment?
Date Wed, 10 May 2006 13:10:59 GMT

On May 9, 2006, at 5:37 PM, Monsur Hossain wrote:
> George Aroush has done a great job porting Lucene over; he'd know
> more about
> any missing features.  But we haven't missed any features yet.

Also note that George might not be on general@lucene (I've CC'd him
so he can see Lucene.Net is being discussed here).

> Your original message mentioned using Java Lucene with a web
> service.  Well,
> even though we use .NET throughout our entire development platform,
> we still
> set up our Lucene.NET server as a web service.  This gave us a lot of
> flexibility.  So even if you go with Lucene.NET, you might want to
> consider
> the web services route anyway.  If you need to swap in the Java
> version
> later, you'll have an easier time.

I highly recommend folks in other environments also look at Solr -
http://incubator.apache.org/solr - when contemplating whether to use
ports of Java Lucene.  Solr is a RESTful (lower cased) web service
that provides a lot of nice facilities on top of Java Lucene.  It'll
integrate nicely into any environment, and only requires that you run
a Java web container such as Tomcat, Jetty, Resin, etc.

	Erik