lucene-general mailing list archives

From acorcutt <acorc...@gmail.com>
Subject Should I use one or many index's?
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 00:43:15 GMT

Hello, I'm just starting out with lucene and need to decide how to organize
my index's..

I have a project where many users (1000's) will need to search only there
own documents, maybe upto 1000 documents each at a time

I'm trying to decide if I should go with 1 large index or one smaller index
for each user, I would guess that 1 smaller index per user would give faster
search results, but is it a good idea with regards to using many index
reader/writers at once performance/memory wise? - with the 1 big index
approach I can just keep 1 of each open globaly. Also is there big
performance loss opening/closing readers as a user needs them?

I guess my options are really just:
1. One large index / One global reader/writer.
2. Many index's / many global readers/writers.
3. Many index's / open&close index's as needed

any advice appreciated,
thanks
Anthony

Sent from the Lucene - General forum at Nabble.com.