lucene-general mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: What are the pros and cons of using the C# version of Lucene as compared to the Java version in a .NET environment?
Date Tue, 09 May 2006 18:02:08 GMT
I have never used Lucene under Windows, but I do know that some quite high profile Internet
companies have used Lucene.net port and are happy with it.  See http://xanga.com

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: George Carrette <gjc@alum.mit.edu>
To: general@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, May 9, 2006 1:00:08 PM
Subject: What are the pros and cons of using the C# version of Lucene as compared to the Java
version in a .NET environment?

If you are developing mainly in the Microsoft.NET framework 2.0 then
it seems that you have 3 choices for running Lucene.

What are the pros and cons of each choice?

1. Use the C# code from the apache incubator project
   Lucene.Net http://incubator.apache.org/projects/lucene.net.html
2. Use the flagship project Lucene Java http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html
   With the Sun java runtime and define some web services in an application such
   As Apache Tomcat that you can call from your other .NET framework code.
3. Use the Lucene Java sources as above, but compile it using the J# compiler, such
   As illustrated here: http://alum.mit.edu/www/gjc/lucene-java-vjc.html

I am particularly interested in risks associated with choice #3. Is the Microsoft J# compiler
to be trusted? Do the people using the gcj compiler have any experience to guide somebody
considering the use of a Java compiler not provided by Sun?

This is for a mission-critical application at a high profile internet media company.