lucene-general mailing list archives

From "James" <ja...@ryley.com>
Subject Term Vectors -- searching or just ranking?
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:49:29 GMT
Hi,

We are implementing term vectors, and there is something about which I am
unclear:  Can term vectors be used to perform a search in its entirety
(e.g., rank all 1 million documents in a database order, and then return the
top 100), or, due to computational time requirements, are term vectors only
intended to be a ranking method for a small subset of data that is the
result of a Boolean search (e.g., we know the 100 documents that possible
answers, now put them in relevancy order)?

Thanks,
James