lucene-general mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene on Windows
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 18:45:56 GMT
On Mar 8, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Charles Wunderlich wrote:
> I'm trying to implement Lucene and I'm having problems with the
> installation. Please help.
>

> I have windows 2003 server.
>
> Installed Java (c:\jdk1.3.1_17)

I personally would have installed a much more recent version of
Java.  It is up to version 1.5 (errr, 5.0!).

> Unzipped lucene-1.4.3.zip to d:\lucene
>
> Copied lucene-1.4.3.jar and lucene-demos-1.4.3.jar to c:\jdk1.3.1_17
> \lib

Lucene 1.9.1 is the latest version of Lucene.

I strongly recommend against moving 3rd party JAR files into your JDK
lib directory.  Use the "java" command-line option to set a
classpath, or the CLASSPATH environment variable instead.

> I try to run the indexer from the command line (as shown on page 14 of
> Lucene in action) but I don't get a response back.
>
> Java build/index d:\lucene

This is _not_ the command-line shown on page 14 of LIA.  The command-
line is this:

	java lia.meetlucene.Indexer build/index /lucene

Also read the "code conventions and downloads" section on page xxxii
where we discuss classpath.  You did not mention downloading the
Lucene in Action code, but to run our Indexer example, you'll need to
download that and follow those instructions as well.

	Erik