lucene-general mailing list archives

From Fernando Luiz Engelmann Junior <ferna...@softexpert.com>
Subject Re: Lucene VS SQL Server
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:11:09 GMT

    The pros of a database full-text index solution is that the
administration of the index is much easier than lucene´s index. The
coding is much easier too, you don´t need to code you app to support
lucene, the only thing you need to do is change your query.
    In otherside, lucene have many more features than the SQL Server
full-text index function.
    I´m developing a document management system, and I have choosen
lucene to do the job. I have much more work to do, because, I have to
make a indexing server using SOAP to comunicate with my web application.
I needed to do all this job, because, my web application can be
clustered in many servers, but the lucene index have to be just in one
place. Then, as you can imagine, the problem was the index locks, etc.
    In this project, the choice to choose lucene, was the number of
features that it gives to my application, the great performance, and the
fact that my system works in MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, Informix,
PostgreSQL and Firebird database, so, for me, it was impossible to
choose the database solution.
    In my oppinion, if you need a simple solution, to build right away,
with a good performance, choose database solution. If you want to do, a
more complex system, that will use more features to search the index,
and a GREAT performance, use lucene. Lucene is the best solution for
larger projects.

    I don´t know if you have already worked with oracle, but if you want
a database solution, try the oracle one. In my oppinion the full-text
function of this database is the best.

Fernando Engelmann Junior