lucene-general mailing list archives

From sivan v <sivanaru...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Best Lucene hardware
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2006 15:47:05 GMT
hello Mr.james,

  u can get some info from the following link...

  http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/benchmarks.html

James <james@ryley.com> wrote:
  Hi,

I'm wondering if someone familiar with the way Lucene accesses data could
give their opinion on whether hard drive seek time or throughput is more
important in Lucene performance, assuming a very large index that cannot fit
in RAM. I'm looking at buying some new servers that will be running Lucene,
and wonder if I should go with SCSI RAID, or if perhaps spending the extra
money on processors (and going with SATA for drives) is better. I'm not
sure where the bottleneck is in an average system, and I don't have any SCSI
RAID systems available for testing.

Thanks,

James

      Enduringly your's,