lucene-general mailing list archives

From "James" <ja...@ryley.com>
Subject RE: ferret: lucene in Ruby
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:52:24 GMT
Hehe... Ten times slower than Lucene.  I've been using Lucene for a year or
two now, and I've looked into various ports, and none of them seem to be
either fast enough, or production-ready.  It would seem that Doug has done a
hell of a job with the Java version, so let me take this opportunity to say
"Thanks!"

As an aside, I note that the Ruby port mentions faster indexing through C
extensions, but it doesn't say anything about searching.  Personally, I
don't care about indexing that much because it can be offloaded and doesn't
have to be done in real time (for me anyway).  I wonder if there is room for
substantial improvement in the searching, or if the efficiency of Lucene
there approaches theoretical limits?

Sincerely,
James