lucene-general mailing list archives

From Arpit Sharma <pathfinder_of_in...@yahoo.com>
Subject How to create Index ?
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 02:34:49 GMT
I have put the .jar file in C:\lucene and I have also
unzip it and have also put all the directories(like
analysis,index,store) in C:\ lucene.

Now how to create a index ?
all the text files are in C:\text directory. I have
"lucene in action" book and with the help of it I made
a  Indexer.java program in C:\lucene and when I tried
to compile it it is giving lot's of errors.
The code is fine(it is copy paste from the book).

I am sure that there is some path problem. What should
I do ?

Thanks

Here is the code of the Indexer.java:-
----------------

/** * This code was originally written for
 **   Erik's Lucene intro java.net article */

public class Indexer {

   public static void main(String[] args) throws
Exception {

   	if (args.length != 2) {
   		throw new Exception("Usage: java " +
Indexer.class.getName()
   		+ " <index dir> <data dir>");
   	}

   	File indexDir = new File(args[0]);
   	File dataDir = new File(args[1]);

   	long start = new Date().getTime();
   	int numIndexed = index(indexDir, dataDir);
   	long end = new Date().getTime();

   	System.out.println("Indexing " + numIndexed + "
files took "
   	+ (end - start) + " milliseconds");

  }

  // open an index and start file directory traversal

  public static int index(File indexDir, File dataDir)

  	throws IOException {
  		if (!dataDir.exists() || !dataDir.isDirectory()) {

  			throw new IOException(dataDir
  			+ " does not exist or is not a directory");
  		}

  		IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(indexDir,

  		new StandardAnalyzer(), true);
  		writer.setUseCompoundFile(false);

  		indexDirectory(writer, dataDir);

  		int numIndexed = writer.docCount();

 		writer.optimize();
 		writer.close();

 		return numIndexed;
 	}

 	// recursive method that calls itself when it finds
a directory

 	private static void indexDirectory(IndexWriter
writer, File dir)
 		throws IOException {

 		File[] files = dir.listFiles();
 		for (int i = 0; i < files.length; i++) {
 			File f = files[i];
 			if (f.isDirectory()) {
 				indexDirectory(writer, f);
 			} else if (f.getName().endsWith(".txt")) {

 			  indexFile(writer, f);
 			}
 		  }
 	}

 	// method to actually index a file using Lucene

 	private static void indexFile(IndexWriter writer,
File f)
 	   throws IOException {

 	   if (f.isHidden() || !f.exists() || !f.canRead())
{
 	   		return;
 	   }

 	   System.out.println("Indexing " +