lucene-general mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene as xml store
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:40:46 GMT

On Jul 22, 2005, at 1:07 AM, Namrata Kumari wrote:

> hi,
>
> I am a beginner to lucene , So kindly excuse me if the questions
> mentioned a
> bit naive.
> - Can I use lucene as an xml store + search engine?
> - What I understood is that if we want to perform search on xml
> doc. we need
> to parse xml document, form indexes and on the basis of fields perform
> search.
> - So, does this mean, that even if we use lucene as xml store (IF
> WE CAN!!),
> we need to parse it to form indexes?

Lucene is a search engine and only deals with text (Strings
essentially).  Lucene is also a flat document space and doing queries
for things hierarchical is not how it was designed, but it can be
done to a limited degree depending on how data is indexed.

Yes, Lucene can store text as well as make it searchable - so you
could store an XML document in it as well.

You have not provided any information on the types of queries you
need to support or what the user experience will be like.  There are
many ways to use Lucene and whether it is suitable solution to your
application depends on that information.   Tell us more about what
you're wanting to do and we can guide you further.

> Please reply to this as soon as possible

That's what they all say!   :)   No need to say such a thing - if you
have well articulated questions that are straightforward enough to
answer, you'll get responses quickly here.

     Erik