lucene-general mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: Lucene as xml store
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:55:30 GMT

On Jul 22, 2005, at 4:37 AM, Namrata Kumari wrote:
> - Well, the application I want to develop is more like storing xml
> files and
> with each of them having different structure. And then performing
> search on
> them that in turn can depend on the structure of the xml doc and
> user's
> requirement.

That's still a pretty generic requirement.  What type of queries?

> - Moreover, I did not exactly understood as to how I can store the xml
> document. I mean, I went through the java doc and couldnot figure
> out the
> api's that could be used for this purpose. Can you guide me in this?

Look at the various types of fields.  There is a "stored" attribute
on Field that allows the field to be stored.

> - But the biggest question is: Is Lucene a good option [which now I
> doubt on
> the basis of what I have read till now :-(]

It really all depends.  I built a search engine for the Rossetti
Archive ( which indexes XML
files like this:

XPath queries are not possible into the XML, but that is also not a
use case for the system.  Highly structured queries such as this one
are supported because the indexing process extracted detailed
information from the XML files:

I still do not have a clear cut understanding of your needs and thus
still not sure if Lucene is suitable or not.  Certainly for full-text
searches it is a fine choice, but the structured queries are a
different story.

> Regards,
> Namrata

View raw message