lucene-general mailing list archives

From "MariLuz Elola" <mel...@seinet.es>
Subject Re: OUTOFMEMORY ERROR
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 13:40:09 GMT
Thanks Erik,
I was wrong, exactly the query that throws an OutOfMemory error is ==>
ID:0* -ID:xtent.
With the query ID:0* I have tried to reproduce the error, but the exception
doen´t appear.
I will use IndexReader instead of IndexSearcher for getting all the
documents. It´s a good idea.
Other thing, when the user searchs without using any query, internally I am
creating the next query ==> ID:0* OR NOT ID:xtent. And this query parsed by
QueryParser I am obtaining ID:0* -ID:xtent (traslated ==> ID:0* AND NOT
ID:xtent), isn´t? Is QueryParser working wrong???
About maxClauseCount (by default 1024), I am setting this property:
org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery.maxClauseCount=es.seinet.xtent.searchEngine.lucene.general.Util.MAX_LUCENE_DOCUMENTS;

    Mari Luz

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Hatcher" <erik@ehatchersolutions.com>
To: <general@lucene.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: OUTOFMEMORY ERROR

On Jul 7, 2005, at 6:02 AM, MariLuz Elola wrote:
> The query is ==> ID:0*
> This query returns all the documents, exactly 210.000 documents.
> If the user doesn´t specify any criterio in the user interface of
> searching, the server searchs all the documents.

Doing a prefix query (which ID:0* is) internally builds a
BooleanQuery OR'ing all unique terms in the ID field that begin with
a "0".  The built in limit is 1,024 clauses in a BooleanQuery.

You will need to re-think your approach.  If the goal is to return
all documents, then use IndexReader to walk them.  If the goal is to
have a general user query expression where ID:0* would be entered you
will need to account for that possibility with more system resources
and bumping up the BooleanQuery limit or indexing differently so that
there are no so many terms being put into the BooleanQuery.  It is
difficult to offer specific advice as I'm not sure what your use
cases are.

     Erik