lucene-general mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: A proper port of Lucene to C#
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 10:21:43 GMT
Antonello,

Welcome!

On Jun 3, 2005, at 4:53 AM, Antonello Provenzano wrote:
> I'm quite finishing the porting (a *proper* one) of the Apache
> Jakarta project Lucene.

What version of Lucene did you port?  How can you ever be "finished"
since Lucene is continually evolving?

> I want to release the port project under APL

Do you mean the ASL (Apache Software License)?

> and would like it to be hosted and mantained: I have no time for
> the development of the code.

Well now that's a problem for bringing your code into Apache.  ASF is
about community over code.  We are not a dumping ground for
unmaintained code without a surrounding community.  Are there other
developers on your codebase?  Have you communicated with George
Aroush about combining efforts and producing a single top-quality C#
port?  George has begun, though currently stalled, the process of
bringing his C# port to the Apache Incubator.  Only if you can
nurture the code through this process and build a community around
the project will it be possible to bring it into Apache.

> I decided porting the project for commercial pourposes (needed to
> index millions of data entries), being the previous port of Lucene
> (dotLucene) not so good-looking and a little slow (for my needings).

Again, I'm curious about the communication you had with the
developers of the other C# codebase(s).  Did you make improvements
known to them?

     Erik