lucene-general mailing list archives

From Antonello Provenzano <t...@deveel.com>
Subject Re: A proper port of Lucene to C#
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:53:55 GMT
Erik Hatcher ha scritto:

> Antonello,
>
> Welcome!
>
> On Jun 3, 2005, at 4:53 AM, Antonello Provenzano wrote:
>
>> I'm quite finishing the porting (a *proper* one) of the Apache
>> Jakarta project Lucene.
>

> What version of Lucene did you port?  How can you ever be "finished"
> since Lucene is continually evolving?

I'm porting the version 1.4.3. I'm a developer as you are: I know
perfectly a software is always in-motion and cannot finish until it's
discontinued!

>> I want to release the port project under APL
>

> Do you mean the ASL (Apache Software License)?

Right.

>> and would like it to be hosted and mantained: I have no time for  the
>> development of the code.
>

> Well now that's a problem for bringing your code into Apache.  ASF is
> about community over code.  We are not a dumping ground for
> unmaintained code without a surrounding community.  Are there other
> developers on your codebase?  Have you communicated with George
> Aroush about combining efforts and producing a single top-quality C#
> port?  George has begun, though currently stalled, the process of
> bringing his C# port to the Apache Incubator.  Only if you can
> nurture the code through this process and build a community around
> the project will it be possible to bring it into Apache.

Ok... I pourposed the port to the #Dashboard community, being a Mono
developer: they suggested me to pourpose it to the Lucene community too,
saying you would be interested in hosting it.
Anyway, the #Dashboard developers would be interested in the development.
The implementation I downloaded and compared against is the dotLucene
(used by #dashboard and beagle too): I was unable to find the source
code for the George Aroush's Lucene.NET. Then, I contacted the author of
the dotLucene project, for replacing his code with mine. I'm still
waiting for an answer...
Anyway, I'm interested in contacting George, for pourposing him the
code: I really have no time for the development of this project too, and
would be a good solution to give him for the development.