lucene-general mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <>
Subject Re: Google's Summer of Code
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 01:20:51 GMT
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> Google announced today their "Summer of Code" To provide stipends for
> Students who successfully impliment OSS projects during the summer.  All
> projects must be contributions to a "mentoring" organization, and the ASF
> is already on the list.
> For some reason, ASF is the only participating organization that doesn't
> have a list of project ideas for students to consider, which got me
> wondering:
>    Are there any "medium" sized Lucene projects that a single
>    College/HighSchool student (working alone) could probably
>    complete in a two month time frame?
> Details...

The Lucene4c project could certainly come up with at least one or two
things to work on.  Off the top of my head, I'd love a tool written to
automate some of the code generation for the glue between C and Java,
there's a lot of boilerplate stuff that could pretty easily be
generated.  Our unit tests could also stand a lot of work, and there's a
lot of work that could be done on extending the amount of the Java API
we cover.

View raw message