lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr, gradle build and working with files compiled into the source tree
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2019 22:22:42 GMT
> It's a trade-off; let's acknowledge that the current system has its benefits.
> For example not needing to change to some other directory to run Solr.

I don't see those, to be honest. Switching directory to run the thing
doesn't seem like a big benefit and running in place... look at the
.gitignore files
and you'll see what I mean when I say it's an ugly thing to do.

> And at present the gradle assemble script will use a target path with a version in the
name which may make docs/instructions/scripts and habits more susceptible to getting out of
date / being wrong.  That could be fixed easily though.

This is intentional, actually. Docs, instructions and scripts should
only point at and describe the internal content of this folder, not to
the folder name. If somebody builds from sources they will know what
they're doing (?).

> I like that you've hid it away in one place and it doesn't look hideous to me.

Trust me, it is terrible in many ways...

D.