lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Gradle build effort (respin, please read)
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2019 20:57:32 GMT
That's aligned with my intuition -- logical cores / 2. Sadly I don't
see how we may compute the number of workers dynamically (you can do
this with test forks per project but not with the overall number of
workers). I asked about it [1]. This is perhaps one of the few
settings you could override globally via ~/.gradle/gradle.properties
because it really applies to your hardware (corrects the overestimated
default by Gradle).

org.gradle.workers.max=[cpu cures]/2

D.

[1] https://discuss.gradle.org/t/set-max-workers-dynamically/34087

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:19 PM David Smiley <david.w.smiley@gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW on a 6 year old MacBook Pro with a Quad-core i7, it seems max-workers of 2 is about
right, clocking in at 21:32.  3 took 20:17; not much better.

> ~ David Smiley
> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:13 AM Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> David Smiley:
>>
>> gradlew -p solr/packaging assemble
>>
>> couple of things:
>> 1> The place you run bin/solr from is different
>> 2> I didn’t need to specify the -p parameter and it defaulted to ‘...solr/packaging/build/solr-9.0.0-SNAPSHOT',
FWIW.

>> Once I got over having to switch to a different dir than I was accustomed to, I realized
that by not mixing the build output with source, things are _much_ cleaner. After a “gradlew
clean”, the packaging directory only contains a build.gradle file.